ACL injury rehabilitation and prevention
Specialized treatment to prevent ACL tears
One of the most devastating injuries in sports is an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear. The ACL is one of the bands of ligaments that connects the thigh bone to the shin bone at the knee. Most tears are a result of landing or planting and cutting or pivoting actions often seen in sports including football, ice hockey and soccer.
Studies show that injury rates can be dramatically reduced if an athlete is properly screened and participates in a pre-season ACL injury prevention program.
The sports medicine therapists at SSM Health Physical Therapy use dorsaViTM, a unique performance evaluation and training system, and other movement efficiency screening programs to:
- Detect and correct potential muscular imbalances and movement deficits that may lead to pain and injuries
- Identify weak muscle areas and help improve poor biomechanics
- Provide a customized exercise regimen to reduce the risk of ACL injuries and improve performance on the field
Our approach to preventive and rehabilitative care maximizes function and promotes well-being in individuals of all ages and abilities. We focus on:
- Strength and conditioning
- Endurance and performance
- Posture and alignment
In evaluating athletes, we consider many factors that can contribute to an ACL injury including:
- Environment-related issues such as footwear and playing surfaces
- Athlete-specific causes such as muscle strength, flexibility and range of motion
A quick lower extremity screen can help detect weaknesses and/or imbalances that may put you at risk for an ACL injury.
Take the first step toward preventing an ACL injury and stay in the game.