Specialized treatment for communication and swallowing disorders
Our certified speech-language pathologists address the complex needs of people with communication impairments. Whether you or a loved one is impacted by stroke, brain injury, oral and brain cancers, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis (MS) or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), our compassionate team will work with you to create an individualized program specific to your needs.
The outpatient programs at SSM Health Physical Therapy and SSM Health Day Institute provide treatment for:
- Aphasia and other language/speaking difficulties
- Cognitive-linguistic deficits, i.e., impaired short and long-term memory, reasoning and/or language skills
- Articulation and voice challenges
- Dysphagia and other swallowing disorders
Pediatric speech therapy is geared to our youngest patients, from birth to age 21. Our specially trained pediatric speech therapists treat expressive and receptive language disorders, delayed speech milestones, apraxia, articular and phonological disorders, and much more.
We also offer specialized care for individuals whose cancer has impacted their communication or swallowing skills. Learn more about the unique care available through ReVital Cancer Rehabilitation.
Treatment may include:
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) - evaluations and training with communication devices for patients with aphasia and neurological conditions
- Cognitive Rehabilitation Program (CRP) - a comprehensive program to improve memory, attention, language and functioning skills
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment® (LSVT) - a voice and respiration treatment method to improve vocal intensity and decrease the impact of Parkinson's disease on communication
- VitalStim® - neuromuscular electrical stimulation, a low level electrical impulse that stimulates and strengthens muscles used for swallowing
During the treatment process, a customized home-exercise program may be established to meet your needs.