Specialized care for the hands and upper extremity
SSM Health Physical Therapy specializes in treating the upper extremities including: the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand. Our hand therapy team understands and anticipates the issues that accompany an injury to the upper extremities. We will offer a comprehensive evaluation and create a treatment plan to help you reach your goals.
Our hand therapy team is comprised of physical and occupational therapists who specialize in treating the upper extremities. Our certified hand therapists (CHTs) have advanced training consisting of more than 4,000 clinical hours and received board certification by the Hand Therapy Certification Commission.
Hand therapy can treat many conditions to the upper extremities including:
- Nerve compressions or injury
- Rheumatoid and osteoarthritis
- Strains, sprains and contusions
- Joint instability
- Chronic pain
- Post-surgical care for any surgery of the upper extremity
- Injury including amputation, burns and lacerations
Hand therapy addresses impairments such as pain, stiffness, weakness, wounds and dexterity that can limit the use of your extremity (ies).
Treatment may include:
- Home exercise program and education
- Functional activities to address your specific needs
- Manual interventions
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Wound care
- Work simulation
- Dexterity training
- Pain neuroscience education
- Progression of the surgical protocol from your doctor