Specialized compassionate care
If you have experienced a brain injury, spinal cord injury, stroke or debilitating neurological injury, SSM Health Day Institute can help. Our expert therapy team focuses on maximizing your mobility, self-care, and cognitive and communicative abilities at home, work and in the community.
Depending on your unique needs, you will participate in daily physical, occupational and speech therapy sessions. In addition, recreational therapy incorporates specific goals into leisure and community reintegration activities to maximize recovery. Home evaluations, vocational resources, caregiver training and school/work re-entry assistance are also available.
The neurological program focuses on:
- Upper- and lower-extremity strengthening and neuromuscular education
- Gait, balance and transfer training
- Comprehension and expressive language training
- Swallowing and voice treatment
- Development of cognitive skills, such as memory, reasoning, problem solving and sequencing
- Visual therapy to address visual deficits
- Family training of compensatory strategies to utilize in the home
- Vestibular rehabilitation/fall prevention
- Independence with medication and finance management
- Community reintegration skills
- Pre-driving skills
- Return-to-work skills