Specialized treatment for running injuries
SSM Health Physical Therapy's team of sports clinical specialists help runners prevent injury and improve performance by identifying certain movement patterns that put them at risk. Running injuries are often caused by muscle imbalances, weakness, poor body mechanics, improper footwear and/or overtraining.
We have physical therapists trained in video running analysis and injury prevention to help you run safely, stay healthy and achieve new personal bests.
How physical therapy can help reduce injuries and improve performance
Common injuries, include:
The majority of all running injuries are non-contact (no traumatic impact, fall or collision) and largely preventable.4
- Runner's knee
- Achilles tendinitis
- Hamstring issues
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Iliotibial (IT) band syndrome
- Stress fractures
What to expect
SSM Health Physical Therapy’s expert team will work closely with you to improve movement patterns that help avoid running injuries and meet your goals. A comprehensive, one-on-one examination of your gait using the dorsaVi™ Movement Suite and ViPerform™ Athletic Movement Index™ will identify fundamental and functional movement patterns and any mobility, stability, strength or flexibility deficits of those movement patterns.
We’ll closely examine your hip, knee and ankle motion as well as your:
- Leg symmetry
- Average ground reaction force and contact time for the left and right leg
- Average peak acceleration and deceleration
- Average steps per minute
- Total distance
- Average speed
Your therapist may also discuss your foot alignment and make shoe recommendations.
SSM Health Physical Therapy wants to ensure that you're performing at your maximum potential and that you will cross the finish line. Let us help you do that by avoiding running injuries.
For more information, please contact us at [email protected].
- Messier S, Legault C, Schoenlank C, Newman J, Martin D, Devita P. Risk factors and mechanisms of knee injury in runners. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 40:1873-1879. 2008.
- McKean K, Manson N, Stanish W. Musculoskeletal injury in masters runners. Clin J Sports Med. 16:149-154. 2006.
- Cipriani D, Swartz J, Hodgson C. Triatholon and the multisport athlete. J Orth Sport Phys Ther. 27:42-50. 1998
- Hauret K, Bedno S, Loringer K, Kao T, Mallon T, Jones B. Epidemiology of exercise and sports related injuries in a population of young, physically active adults. Am J Sport Med. 43:2645-2653. 2015.