Residency and fellowship programs
Customized therapy solutions for your patient
Advance your development as a physical therapist with our post-professional programs. Intensive training will equip you to meet the demands of advanced clinical practice.
SLU-SSM Health Physical Therapy Orthopedic Residency Program
Together with Saint Louis University (SLU), SSM Health Physical Therapy offers a 12-month physical therapy orthopedic residency with numerous opportunities for the licensed physical therapist to develop as an advanced clinician and an educator, produce and disseminate a scholarly product and grow as a provider to the area's underserved populations.
The program advances the orthopedic knowledge, skills and attributes of licensed physical therapists as described by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education’s Description of Residency Practice and the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists’ (ABPTS) Description of Specialty Practice. The program involves classroom learning and psychomotor instruction at Saint Louis University and SSM Health Physical Therapy in face-to-face, online and small group formats.
We celebrate a 100 percent on-time graduation rate and first-time pass rate for our graduates who sit for the ABPTS Orthopedic Specialty Examination (OCS). External applicants and current employees of SSM Health Physical Therapy are accepted. Our program highlights include:
- Direct 1:1 clinical mentoring
- Compensation (including benefits) for non-mentored hours of patient care
- Participation as a lab instructor in SLU's entry-level physical therapy program
- Small group classroom and manual skills instruction, facilitated discussion and journal club
- Independent mentorship in specialty topics within the field of orthopedics
- Opportunities for clinic rounding, surgery observation and grand rounds with physicians
Please contact the Orthopedic Residency Program with any questions.
For further information, visit SLUSSMPTResidency.slu.edu.
Our Partner Residency Programs
- Orthopedic Residency (Arizona, Connecticut, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Texas and Virginia) – Select Medical.
- Physical Therapy Residency in Women’s Health (Dallas, TX) – A partnership of Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation and Texas Woman’s University.
- Residency in Neurologic Physical Therapy (Dallas and Houston, TX) – A partnership of Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation and Texas Woman’s University.
- Sports Physical Therapy Residency (Dallas, TX) – Through Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation.
The Select Medical Fellowship in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy
This 18-month program, accredited by ABPTRFE in 2020, is designed to meet the requirements of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists. Tuition is waived for full-time clinicians who commit to two years of employment with Select Medical’s Outpatient Division family of brands, and uses a model in which the mentor travels to the fellow in training.
To apply for this program, the participant must possess at least one of the following additional qualifications for admission:
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) specialist certification in the related area of specialty as defined within the Description of Fellowship Practice (DFP), or
- Successful completion of an ABPTRFE-accredited residency in a related specialty area as defined within the DFP.