Residency and fellowship programs
Customized therapy solutions for your patient
Advance your development as a physical therapist with our post-professional programs. Intensive training will equip you to meet the demands of advanced clinical practice.
SLU-SSM Health Physical Therapy Residencies
Together with Saint Louis University, SSM Health Physical Therapy American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship (ABPTRFE) accredited residency education in the following specialty areas:
- Women’s Health
SLU-SSM Health Physical Therapy residency education provides numerous opportunities for the licensed physical therapist to develop as an advanced clinician and an educator, produce and disseminate a scholarly product and grow as a provider to the area's underserved populations.
Programs advance the specialty knowledge, skills and attributes of licensed physical therapists as described by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education's Description of Residency Practice. They include classroom learning and psychomotor instruction at Saint Louis University and SSM Health Physical Therapy in face-to-face, online and small group formats.
External applicants and current employees of SSM Health Physical Therapy are accepted. Our program highlights include:
- Direct 1:1 clinical mentoring
- Compensation (including benefits) for non-mentored hours of patient care
- Participation as a lab instructor in SLU's entry-level physical therapy program
- Small group classroom and manual skills instruction, facilitated discussion and journal club
- Independent mentorship in specialty topics within the field of orthopedics
- Opportunities for clinic rounding, surgery observation and grand rounds with physicians
For further information, visit our program websites:
Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
Our Partner Residency Programs
- Oncology Physical Therapy Residency (Dallas-Fort Worth, TX) - A partnership with Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation.
- Physical Therapy Residency in Women's Health (Dallas, TX) - A partnership of Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation and Texas Women's University
- Residencies in Neurologic Physical Therapy:
- A partnership of Baylor Scott and White Institute for Rehabilitation and Texas Women's University (Dallas, TX)
- Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation (New Jersey)
- Sports Physical Therapy Residencies:
- Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation (Dallas, TX)
- A partnership of Select Physical Therapy and Husson University (Bangor, ME)
- A partnership of NovaCare Rehabilitation and University of Cincinnati (Cincinnati, OH)
The Select Medical Fellowship in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy
Accredited by ABPTRFE in 2020, this 18-month program is also designed to meet the requirements of the Accreditation Council on Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy Education (ACOMPTE) allowing graduates to obtain Fellowship status with the American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists. Since its inception, the program graduation rate is 100%, and 100% of graduates would recommend the program to a peer seeking Fellowship training in manual therapy. Program graduates also have the opportunity to support their peers and apply to become faculty for both our Fellowship and Residency Programs, something that 100% of graduates have gone on to do.
Similar to our Orthopaedic Residency Program, tuition is waived for full-time clinicians who commit to two years of employment with Select Medical's Outpatient Division family of brands, and uses a model in which the mentor travels to the fellow in training.
To apply for this program, the participant must possess at least one of the following additional qualifications for admission:
- American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS) specialist certification in the related area of specialty as defined within the Description of Fellowship Practice (DFP), or
- Successful completion of an ABPTRFE-accredited residency in a related specialty area as defined within the DFP.
For more information on Select Medical's residency and fellowship programs, please contact [email protected].